BOOKWORM INTERVIEW 7: With Riana Ang-Canning (Content Marketer, Travel And Book Blogger)




Eiyo dearies,

How are you guys doing? I can't believe that it's alreay the last week of September. Time flies, although we feel like we are stuck in March because of this pandemic. 

Since it's already the last week of September, I would like to share with you guys another Bookworm Interview episode. For Fadima Mooneira Bookwork Interview episode 7, I'm interviewing a content marketer, travel, and book blogger from Vancouver, Canada. Her name is Riana Ang-Canning. Riana is a bookworm. Plus, she loves traveling, baking, and singing. Riana's job as a content marketer requires her to read a lot.

So in this interview, Riana will share with us her knowledge of books and the reading culture in Canada. I visited Vancouver in 1995. I was only nine years old at that time. When I was in Vancouver, I visited a huge bookstore that offered customers a variety of books. But unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the bookstore. I only remember that  I left the bookstore with a bundle of books in hand. From my travel experience, I believe Canada had a good reading culture at that time. But I'm not sure now. So it is a pleasure to chat with Riana about Canada's reading culture.

Now, let's begin with Riana's profile and then the interview..............


RIANA'S PROFILE

Riana Ang-Canning - content marketer, travel and book blogger from Canada


Name: Riana Ang-Canning

Occupation: Content Marketer

Bio: 

Riana Ang-Canning is a travel and book blogger currently based in Vancouver, Canada with her partner and dog. When she's not traveling or reading, Riana works online in content marketing and loves to spend her free time baking and singing too loudly to musical soundtracks.


RIANA'S SOCIAL MEDIA LINK (PLS CLICK ON EACH LINKS TO VISIT RIANA'S WEBSITE AND SOCMEDS)


Twitter: @tspadventure





THE INTERVIEW


When did you first start reading for pleasure?

I've always been a big reader; my mom likes to brag that I was reading way before any of the other kids. I read a ton as a kid but then when I got to university, I became so busy with school readings that I forgot about reading for pleasure. It's only in the last two years that I've started to read for pleasure again and have been reading lots to try and catch up! 


Wow! That's awesome. So what is the first book/novel you read? 

I don't know if this was the first, but my cousins and I were absolutely obsessed with the Jewel Kingdom books. We used to all pretend to be one of the different princesses. 





Sounds interesting. What genre do you read?

I love non-fiction and read a lot of true crime and memoir. I'll do fiction too, but not as often. I also love trying new genres; I recently read my first horror/thriller book and actually liked it! 


Do you judge a book by its cover?

A little bit. I know you're not supposed to, but I usually let the cover and title tell me what kind of book I'm in for. Though if I hear a good review or description, I'll believe that over the cover.


What is your all-time favorite book and why? Do you repeat reading it?

My favorite book of all time is Columbine by Dave Cullen. It was the book that got me back into reading for pleasure and introduced me to the true-crime genre in a very smart and well-researched way. I've only read it once, a few years ago, but will probably pick it up for a re-read sometime in the future. 




Sounds good. So would you recommend your favorite book to other bookworms?

Yes, I would. I think Columbine is a really interesting look at the school shooting from the perspective of students/teachers who were there that day, law enforcement, reporters, psychologists, etc. It's my favorite kind of true crime because it's not just about the details of the crime but the "why" behind it. 


Who is your favorite author?

I'm not sure I have a favorite author but I do enjoy Lindy West and John Douglas' books. 


What ambiance do you prefer for reading?

I love the idea of curling up with a book by the fire on a cozy fall night. But practically speaking, I seem to do my best reading when I'm on a plane or train with no other distractions.


How's the reading culture in your country?

I'm not sure exactly what the reading culture is across Canada. I think, generally speaking, our population is fairly well-read but I bet we could do more to encourage leisure reading after people leave school.


 Do you have any ideas to improve the reading culture in your country?

I think a love of reading is something that is cultivated throughout your lifetime. So it starts at home before kids go to school when their parents read to/with them. Once in school, I think it would be great if kids were encouraged to pick out their own books more often, not just what the curriculum sets out for them to read. Kids should be encouraged to read books of whatever genre interests them. In our adult lives, I think it would be awesome if there were more opportunities to read. For example, workplaces could have office book clubs. And with things like e-readers and audiobooks, busy people are now able to read more. 



Ok, so these are the questions I have for Fadima Mooneira Bookworm Interview. Thank you, Riana for participating in this interview, sharing your knowledge of books and the reading culture in Canada. I wish you all the best in your career as a content marketer and blogger. Btw,  it's a pleasure to have you as a guest star on my blog. Interviewing you also reminds me of how much I miss Canada. Seriously, I wish to travel to Canada again when this pandemic ends.


To Fadima Mooneira Blogspot readers, this bookworm interview is a monthly interview episode that I created for bookworms to participate, share their book knowledge, and the reading culture in their country. If you are a bookworm and interested to participate in this bookworm interview, pls feel free to read the advertisement below.....









All you need to do is email me your profile, answers, and profile picture to fadimamooneira@yahoo.com. Your picture must be in JPEG form.



Ok, that's all for now. Thank you for reading. See you guys again soon.


XoXo,

Fadima Mooneira ^_^


#RianaAngCanning #TeaspoonOfAdventure #TravelBlogger #BookBlogger #ContentMarketer #Bookworm #BookwormInterviewSeries #Edutainment #FadimaMooneiraBlogspot



RELATED POSTS






Comments

  1. A very interesting series of interviews! And the book ideas it gives you from other people's favourite books are great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can learn about books and reading culture in other countries.

      Delete
  2. This is really awesome ��
    I have to admit that Judging a book by cover may not seem right but the First impression is the best impression....
    The Cover of the book makes me to decide whether to buy a book or not.....

    Thank you for sharing this post ��

    JENISH | https://knowafactfromj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. In my opinion, we do judge a book by its cover. I used to work at a publishing company before. I learned that cover has important roles. Most important, cover is a summary of the whole story. You can tell what’s inside te book by looking at its cover.

      Delete
  3. Well, I honesty sometimes judge the book by its cover and title haha. However, if someone suggest it to me, I would read it without paying attention to the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I won’t judge a book by its cover, if only the book is written by one of my favorite authors.

      Delete
  4. I love these bookworm interviews! I don't read enough and they always encourage me to do more. I too judge a book by its cover no matter how hard I try haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cover is a summary of what’s inside the book. That’s why we do judge a book by its cover.

      Delete
  5. This is such a great interview. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. interview yang bagus utk siapa yg kaki buku ni. banyak kisah menarik sebenarnya. selalunya nak membaca ni suka tengok cover dulu..hehe. lepas tu baru belek2 sikit dalam tu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes reading must start at a young age... normally most engljsh kids esp those westerners they are taught to read during sleeping time where their parents will start reading them a story book...asians must follow that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it should be for Malays. Other Asians I know do like to read. Macam I, my parents memang pupuk I minat membaca since kecik2. That’s why reading is one of my hobby now. And I’m grateful for that.

      Delete
  8. Wahh rajin dia interview. Btw mmg bagus byk membaca. Cam i sendiri mmg suka membaca dan travel hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah......nanti boley lah interview Cik Min pula. Interested to join?

      Delete
  9. Such a great effor and innitiative! Kudos to you for holding such an eye-opening interview. It was a pleasant to understanding reading culture from people in other countries and reading it totally gives me (and us) some idea how we can improve our reading culture as well. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, fellow bookworm and traveler! I too, have to admit to judging books by their covers. And the spines. And the font. And paper material. I mean, the writing is important too, obviously, but all the other stuff will affect my overall reading experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good opinion. Would like to interview you next. Hehehe.

      Delete
  11. Woww menarik ni. KakYa pon suka membaca dan carik buku buku baru untuk bahan bacaan bersama anak anak .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow.....mother reading with kids. That will be awesome to interview.

      Delete
  12. Great interview! I love Riana's blog already!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greats book and good storyline for this book. Exciting to read for Canada Author. Nak mendalami bagaimana penceritaan orang negara lain pulak ni

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a great interview and interesting content. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love true crime as well, so I will have to add Columbine to my read list. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow..so interesting...i bukan bookworm but bila u interview such a great person like here..i really kagum

    ReplyDelete
  17. This interview initiative was really interesting as everyone has different reading profile. I remember back then 'Program Buku Nilam" really helps to encourage me and my friends to read more books! Agreed with the point it reading need to be cultivated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Buku nilam or Book Journal. It’s one of the best ways to keep up with reading habit.

      Delete
  18. I pun dh lama tak baca buku. I pun kdg2 judge by the cover.. Hahahaha.. Masa pkp mula baca buku semula. Tapi tak fokus sangat la..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see......you can try the 7 ways I mentioned before

      https://fadimamooneira.blogspot.com/2020/08/seven-ways-to-boost-your-reading-habit.html

      Delete
  19. Nicely shared. And I appluad your effort in uniting the readers around the world with this initiative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanna participate for October, Rawlins? You can share your Sidney Sheldon knowledge. Hehehe 😁😄

      Delete
  20. perkongsian yang menarik.. sy dah mula balik baca buku-buku..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s good. Keep it up 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

      Delete
  21. Great sharing... I have experienced before in trying to judge a book by its cover when I was marathon-ing a few novels and I was wrong indeed... hehehehe... at the end, I read all of the novels as well and they were good... #sillyme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see.....that’s a good experience. Tq for sharing.

      Delete
  22. nice and great.. nice sharing awak. i love reading since kids.. but nowadays, ahahh... its good to smell book in hand

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is interesting! Never seen any other interview among book bloggers before (or mayne cause I don't blogwalk that much haha). Salam kenal dari kumpulan Bengkel Kisah Hidup Sri Diah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I’m from BKH Pn. Sri Diah too. Which project are you in? I’m in Kari Ayam Cinta and Sahabat.

      Delete
  24. I am a bookworm and recently doing book review on my blog post. But, I don't think I am qualified enough to be interviewed. Especially by you 😂 No not yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why so? If you love reading and write reviews, you should be qualify enough. Or are you telling me that you are too good to be feature on my blog? Hmm.......🤣🤣🤣

      Delete
  25. Bagusnya ada buat book interview mcmni. Atleast boleh kenal book bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book blogger and also bookworms. The reason I conducted this interview is to share book knowledge, know about reading cultures in other countries, and make friends with people who have the same interest.

      Delete
  26. Great interview, it's always nice to get to know other bloggers and bookworms, and discover their favourite things!

    Anika | chaptersofmay.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to interview you next if you don’t mind. What say you dear? 😃

      Delete
  27. Ena pon kalau baca buku mesti nak belek sape penulisnya hehe. Sampaikan fb tu ramai je ena add writer haha. Sbb suka bca posting dorang. Rasa menarik perwatakan mereka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because writers are readers. People who read usually have interesting personality.

      Delete
  28. wah! i would to do that..will email to you later..btw how to follow you..you don't have follower widget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, pls email. Will be waiting for your email. You can just subscribe to my blog dear.

      Delete
  29. I love reading these interviews. Its so interesting to find out more about the person behind the blog. I used to love reading the jewel kingdom when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Auwww......is it only me who haven't heard of Jewel Kingdom........😅

      Delete
  30. This is a great way of getting to know more bloggers! :D
    Brilliant interview. It's always interesting learning more about how other countries see reading and literature. I wonder how would I answer to the question what's the reading culture in Spain...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, how’s the reading culture in Spain? Pls share. I would like to know.

      Delete
  31. Wow it's great to know about what other book blogger do and their preferences too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This interview is not only for book bloggers. People who love to read are welcome to join. Are one of them?

      Delete
  32. I love reading interviews and this was especially interesting because I am following Riana's blog already some time :) I really loved her ideas on how to improve the reading culture! I agree with all my heart and hope, that also in my country people will read more, especially children!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts